Jesus established the church to continue the work He had begun on Earth.
Christ’s ministry established a lifestyle of caring for needs, praying in relationship with the Father, and sharing the Gospel message of salvation.
WHY to pray
The Church unites all believers in the proclamation of faith in Christ Jesus. There are many denominations and practices, but one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all. (Ephesians 4:5-6)
A healthy church is a powerful tool God uses to bring people into salvation and a community that continues to spurn one another on in the faith. We need to cover our churches in prayer, because there are many distractions that can prevent a church from living in the fullness of God’s design. Is a church too focused on perceived image and a single leader, or on making Christ known above all? Is a church ignoring issues, or addressing challenges with humble hearts seeking Biblical healing and justice? Are the church members actively living out a missional lifestyle and engaging in intergenerational discipleship or is church just a weekly event?
The church needs our prayers!
HOW to pray
Pray the Father’s heart. To do this, seek scripture for the divine design and wisdom concerning challenges within the Church. Meditating on scripture before beginning prayer puts our hearts into a position of submission to the will of God. These verses are good starting places to see God’s design and purpose for the Church:
And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” Matthew 28:18-20 ESV
For as in one body we have many members, and the members do not all have the same function, so we, though many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another. Romans 12:4-5 ESV
Continue to remember those in prison as if you were together with them in prison, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering. Hebrews 13:3 NIV
WHAT to pray
- God, use Your Church as a beacon of light and joy to a world that is searching for answers
- Jesus, give your pastors keen wisdom and insight that is in tune with your Spirit so they would never lose sight of the mission of Your Church
- Lord, open hearts in the church to care for people outside the church, to be praying for them and to become visibly and tangibly concerned and helping them in needs and struggles
- Bring a focus for exalting You above all else, to pastors, church staff, volunteers and lay leaders
- Stir the Holy Spirit among the body to actively participate in discipling one another in Scripture
- Father, burden the Church with urgency to share the Gospel with passion and the power of the Spirit
- Remind us to eagerly look for ways to use our time, talents, and treasures to build up the Body of Christ