"When the foundations are being destroyed, what can the righteous do?" —Psalms 11:3
I believe our nation is in trouble today, probably more than I've seen in my lifetime. We are contending with issues that are causing the very foundation of our country to crumble. Our moral and spiritual roots are eroding, the economy is misleading, family life is disintegrating, and political forces are at unprecedented odds. There seem to be very few leaders who will take a stand for God and for His Word.
It can be tempting to believe that America has reached a point of no return. While these factors cause despair, we are reminded in Scripture that with God, nothing is impossible. No problem is too great for Him. Seasons of distress and uncertainty and hardship call for faithful, fervent prayer by God's people and remind us of our responsibility to humble ourselves before Almighty God. We cannot expect healing to come to our nation apart from obedience to God through His Holy Word.
God longs for His people to humble themselves and to seek forgiveness and pray for guidance. God's Word says, "Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord" (Psalm 33:12). The Bible commands that we repent of our sins and turn to Almighty God. And because we are confident that we serve a God of mercy and compassion, we know that He stands ready to respond to our cries out of the abundance of His divine wisdom.
It is a crucial time for us to individually and collectively seek God's divine intervention for the challenges facing us. We need to pray not only for our nation, but we need to pray for our leaders, for all those who govern us, that they will turn to God with humble hearts and follow Him. Our military leaders need our prayers as we have dedicated men and women serving on battlefields and sacrificing their blood to protect our nation and many innocent people around the world. God is faithful to bless those who turn to Him.
Pray that as a nation we would return to God. As we call on God, let us do so by genuine faith, believing that He hears our prayers. God can heal this great land, for which our forefathers fought and died. We need spiritual renewal, we need a revival in America, and we need each and everyone to pray. Lord, Hear Our Cry! —Franklin Graham
What you can do:
- Download this free prayer guide on how to pray for those in authority: 30 Ways to Pray Authority
- Download this free prayer guide listing the top 130 U.S. Officials: 130TopUSOfficialsBookmark_2015
- Download this free ELECTION PRAYER GUIDE
- Order your free 31-day prayer map/guide for the United States from Every Home for Christ
- Special thanks to our friends at Intercessors for America for the prayer guides. Learn more at ifapray.org
- Download a Family Prayer Guide
- Download a Free Curriculum from Gospel Light on Prayer
- Download a Youth Group Prayer Guide and a Prayer Guide Series from Dr. Henry Blackaby
- 30-day prayer guide covering all the spheres of leadership
- 52-week (1 year) Prayer Guide called Heal Our Land
- Pray for Education in America
- Pray for Media and Entertainment in America
"I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone – for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness." —I Timothy 2:1-2